pregnant." He slowly processes the looks on our faces and offers:
"But you knew that."
"Yes"
"The numbers are good, it looks like you're about 3 weeks."
"But I'm 5 weeks 2 days. I was 4 weeks 6 days when I had the draw done."
"When was your last period?"
"September 13th."
"And did you do the math and figure out when you're due?"
"June 20th."
"Let me just check you did that math right." He pulls out his spinny
thingie. Dude, I have the INTERNET! "Yep, June 20th. So that makes
you..."
"5 weeks 2 days."
"5 weeks 2 days." He agrees.
Boy am I glad we got all that settled. Now what was all that about
only being 3 weeks?
He takes my blood pressure, asks me how I'm feeling, weighs me,
quizzes me on vitamins and names all the food groups for me.
Um, that 3 week thing?
He writes me up a req for more blood work, Syphilis, HIV, Rubella,
another beta, the works.
"So, no early ultrasound?"
He launches into how they can't really see anything. Except for the
fact that it's there, I point out. He tells me they wouldn't even be
able to see the heartbeat yet blah blah blah how the hormones mean
more to us now than an ultrasound blah blah blah. 11 weeks is better
blah blah blah. Dude, remember? I HAVE THE INTERNET! But at this
point I'm convinced this isn't going to last. 3 WEEKS? That is so
not good. I'm so screwed. I'm not even going to make it to 11 weeks.
I ask what the number is. 961. I write it down.
He tells me to come back in three weeks and um, I'm going to need a
pap. He's totally cool with me using the midwives though, and to let
him know in 3 weeks if they are taking me or not, and in the meantime the sooner I go for the bloodwork the sooner I can call to hear about
my rising hormones.
Yeah, sure, whatever.
It isn't until we get in the car and I totally flip out that I realize
that he MUST be talking 3 weeks after conception, not 3 weeks
pregnant. Because no-one has a beta of 961 when they are only 3 weeks
pregnant. My husband is totally confused at this point and needs to
know why they count the first 2 weeks of your cycle and I'm barely
even caring because YAY! this isn't as bad as I thought.
Comparing my number to the ones in betabase.com I realize that I'm
better than average for 20dpo. BETTER. HA!
So really, I'm going to try to calm down and pretend like I'm normal.
Which I'm not, for the record.
Also today, according to ivf.ca -- cardiac contractions started today. Yay!

5 comments:
I don't agree with you needing a pap smear. I'm sure the midwives wouldn't want that. Leave your cervix ALONE.
Otherwise YAYA!
I thought a pap was a standard type of thing. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me either. I'm more than happy to skip it. :)
No paps! And tell them you have an acorn in your uterus and must be watched extremely closely this pg. ;o) And that is such horse shit about not being able to see anything...that little blob growing in there is EVERYTHING.
I so want to kick doogie's ass.
Ummm 3 weeks would be 1 week post o, my god, does he even know HOW babies are made????
I had my pap done after Sophie was born when she was like 6 weeks. If you've had abnormal paps in the past then yeah, go, if not and they've always been normal then why expose yourself to the possible bacteria introduction?
Doogie obviously likes that man dr way of doing pregnancy. i had so many battles with chris like this. just say i'm 4 weeks pregnant, and he'd say i wasn't. so i'd say i was and that it confuses the hell out of the lab because they go by lmp and duh, i o late, etc, etc, etc.
your numbers will go beautifully!!
i'm so excited.
i so hope the midwives will take you.
I had my pap done when pregnant. No biggie.
I bet he was talking like it's like three weeks since ovulation, which would be exactly right.
Did you tell him you used clomid?
Post a Comment